Monday, March 21, 2011

What kind of athlete do you want to be?

What kind of athlete do you want to be? This is a theme that I see in a lot of other blogs and one I am personally struggle with. My passion is cycling, as I have stated over and over. But as you know, cycling takes time, gear, good weather, etc. Then there is the seductive world of triathlon with its variety, plethora of gear and sexy spoke models. Triathletes have bodies like Greek Gods and you think if you can squeeze in one more training session or up your protein intake, you too can look like that!

I am vain, I admit it. I want swimmers arms, cyclist legs and runners body fat percentage. I want to continue to lift weights because, as you are well aware of, cyclist typically don't rock a set of kick a%* guns. If I need to burn calories in short period of time, I go for a run. I want to challenge myself with a triathlon experience. But as I learned this weekend, all of my "cross training" isn't helping me achieve my current goal, AIDS Lifecycle.

On my 65 training mile ride on Saturday, my legs felt weak and rubbery by mile 30. I felt betrayed by my legs and even took an extra rest day this week. After the ride I was discussing my disappointment with my husband and I stated that I need to train more. He responded with, "I think you need to train less. Just ride."

I keep telling myself that I can do it all, but I just don't think I am there yet. I need to fix on a goal and be willing to let a few things slide in order to achieve that goal. Either I do one thing well, or a bunch of things mediocre. So from now on, I am riding and swimming. I will have to pick up the running after my ride in June and hopefully the swimming will help me with my chicken wings! I can only hope to have Jen S.'s guns!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your riding and the wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all want Jen's guns lol! But this is something I struggle with nonstop. I want to run, I want to climb, I want to lift weights, I want to be a yogi and I want to master kettlebells, lol! I just need to figure out if I want to be a jack of all trades, master or none or master one and let the others fall by the wayside :( I'm still undecided, lol. Good luck with your ride though! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, we all want Jen's guns.

    I want to be the kind of athlete that makes others believe that they are capable of more than they imagined. I find motivation in helping others push past what they though was their limit.

    Oh. I want the swimmers arms, bikers legs, and runners body fat percentage too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to love swimming the same way I love to run! Also, I want to have abs like Jesus so I can start Team Sportsbra, which is the girls version of Team No Shirt.

    ReplyDelete