Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me and Pinky!

My birthday was Friday and it was an amazing day. Pinky got a new crank and front derailer. I have trying to figure out if Pinky was a person, what a new drive train would be. Any ideas? Her heart? Her lungs? Either way, Pinky and I are pretty excited!


I had the most amazing birthday meal at a restaurant called Millennium in San Francisco. It is one of the most acclaimed vegetarian restaurants in the city and quite possibly the best meal I have ever had. This time I brought the camera so I can share the joy of this meal. As a vegetarian, it is hard find variety of choices at fine dining. Usually you have the token pasta dish, so to go to dinner and can eat everything on the menu is mind blowing! I couldn't decide, so I ordered two small plates.
Butternut Squash Caponata
grilled bruschetta, hazelnut-lemon "cheese", baby escarole salad with cipollini onions & balsamic vinaigrette, toasted hazelnuts, fresh oregano

Black Bean Torte
whole wheat tortilla, caramelized plantains, smoky black bean puree, pumpkin-habanero papazul, cashew "sour cream", cara cara salad - This was both of our favorite dishes!

Marc had:

Sweet Soy & Chile Glazed Tempeh
Indonesian coconut-peanut sauce, seared bok choy & winter vegetables, pickled mustard greens, coconut red rice, kohlrabi-cucumber salad with lemongrass-lime dressing

He also had the house soup (Thai Sweet Potato) which was amazing and I had the house Gem Salad (not photographed).

My birthday meal also include some sweets (it is my birthday and I am human) from Citizen Cake! Elizabeth Falkner is James Beard award nominated pastry chef and has 2 Michelin stars, she is a bad a**! So if someone offers you her treats, calorie counting goes out the window and you ENJOY! I didn't eat them all by myself, but I did have my share!


No San Francisco birthday celebration would be complete without boas, tiaras, Shannon-tinis, Drag Queens and the fabulous Patrik!



I am the pink big bird on the end!

I am so lucky to share my life with the most amazing man! He spent hours in the garage with Pinky, he planned the best birthday ever and he continues to support and love me. I am a very lucky pink big bird!




It was a night I will never forget, but thank goodness birthdays only come around once a year! I am starting my healthiest year today, for real this time!

1 comment: