Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vegas and Whiskey

Vegas and Whiskey, Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas and Whiskey Off Road to be exact!

On Thursday and Friday I had the honor of meeting some amazing women at the Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Triathlon. This is a great tri for beginners! It is very accommodating with transition talks and bike storage at the hotel. The Lowes property, where the race is held, is very scenic and the swim is in a lake! I found that a lot of the women use this race as a girls weekend, so I met women from all over. A lot of women showed up from Canada and other cold regions to get in their first race of the season. I went for a run on Friday morning and it was VERY windy, I hope it calmed down for the participants. I briefly lost my camera, so I don't have any photos from the expo or of the grounds. I didn't stick around for the race because we packed up Friday evening and headed to Prescott, AZ.

I arrived in Prescott well after midnight and was up at 5 AM setting up for the Whiskey Off Road Expo in Prescott, AZ! Lets just say the free coffee coupons and great friends made this expo a BLAST. My bestie, Molly, is from Prescott and I have become friends with a lot of her family and friends over the years. So when the folks at Epic Rides asked I participate in the expo, it was a no-brainer and worth 4 hours of sleep!

Molly, Me and Janelle
You may recognize Molly and Janelle as they were on the TC home page for about a year!

The Whiskey Off Road is a mountain bike race for a 25 and 50 mile option for amateurs and a pro race. If you follow my blog, you know I am not the best mt. biker but I love to ride and seeing some of these women ride 50 miles on a mt. bike was VERY inspiring. We met a woman who started riding at 40 and was competing in the race at 65! I still have time! HA HA! This race is pretty technical and at elevation, so if you ride at sea level like us So Calers, it can be even more difficult. My girl, Tonya Bray with Mtbchick.com raced it for the first time and did an amazing ride. Pua Mata, one of our local gals, won the women's pro race and we are super proud of her! She crushed the previous record! We also got a chance to hang out with Sarai from Girl Bike Love, she is awesome and has a great site, CHECK.IT.OUT!!

I was sold out of a lot of sizes, so I apologize, but we are stocking up as we speak!

Here are some photos from the race.
Pua's win



No comments:

Post a Comment