Thursday, January 20, 2011

I LOVE TO RIDE!

I love to ride, it is an amazing experience every time I go out.  It feeds my soul.  It clears my head.  It is my sanity.  I have been "seriously" and consistently cycling for only 2 years, but I really can't remember an existence without it.

I have publicly stated that I will enter my first triathlon in 2011.  Here is the issue, I really don't love to swim and run.  I desperately want to have the same passion for running and swimming, but it isn't happening.  Running is so convenient, you can do it anywhere!  Swimming is so good for you and easy on the joints!

I am reminded that when I got my first bike about 8 years ago, it was not love at first sight.  I started on a mountain bike and there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears in the beginning.  To be honest, there was a time when almost every ride included a crash and a good cry.  A few years later, I picked up the road bike.  Ahhh, the road.  No huge rocks, tree roots or ledges to fall off.  And then the move to southern California and the intro to climbing.  Holy cow, the climbing.  I must have asthma, the only explanation to this wheezing!

I am hoping that in a few years I will reflect when I would drink half the pool and laugh at the thought of swimming anything over 600 meters.  I can't wait for that day.

4 comments:

  1. You had me at "I love to ride".

    Let's sign up for the Newport Beach Tri. Super mellow easy swim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do anything you set your mind to do :) Always remember that~

    While I love cycling, what you describe is how I feel about running. It is certainly my zen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For tri training, the common wisdom is to train most in what you are able to do the least. The more you swim, the easier it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick - that sounds like a good plan, is it in October?

    Thanks Jennifer, you need to check out the Running is Zen Tough Chik t-shirt (sorry for the self promo - i can't help myself)

    Kovas, you are right.

    ReplyDelete